Easy | Servings: 4 | Ready In: 30 minutes | Yield: 10 cups
Groundnuts (aka peanuts) are a common ingredient in West African cooking. This is a traditional vegan dish in Ghana, where bold flavors come together from sweet potatoes, spicy curry, fresh ginger, and rich peanut butter. Dark greens round out the color for a hearty, plant-based stew.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup natural roasted peanut butter (no added oils or sweeteners)
- 1 bunch Collard greens, stemmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Fresh lime wedges, chopped peanuts, green onions to garnish (optional)
How it’s Done:
In a medium pot, sweat the bell pepper and onion, covered, over medium heat until the onion is soft. Add the ginger and curry powder and cook 2 more minutes, until aromatic.
Add the sweet potato, water, and peanut butter. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir the stew and make sure the peanut butter is mixed well into the broth. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the potato is knife-tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the collards, cover, and simmer until the collards are tender, about 5 more minutes.
Remove the lid, taste to adjust seasoning. Garnish with limes, peanuts, or green onions to your preference, and serve.
Enjoy on its own or serve over steamed brown basmati rice.
Yield: 10 cups
Oil-Free Peanut Butter: To ensure a 100% oil-free recipe, be sure to use peanut butter that doesn’t have added oils. Double-check the ingredients list to make sure there’s no oil list.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 9 g||14 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||7 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 82 mg||3 %|
|Potassium 601 mg||17 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 22 g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8 g||31 %|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 7 g||14 %|
|Vitamin A||279 %|
|Vitamin C||85 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Teeny Tiny Spice Co of Vermont Organic West African Curry, 2.8 Oz
- Frontier Organic Seasoning, Vindaloo, 1.9 Ounce
- Spread The Love NAKED CRUNCH Organic Peanut Butter, 16 Ounce All Natural