Easy| Servings: 4 | Ready In: 30 minutes | Yield: 8-10 cups soup
Sweet cauliflower and Indian spices come together in this rich, satisfying soup. This easy oil-free recipe is perfect for a chilly winter night: Just throw everything in the pot, simmer for 20 minutes, and then puree. Enjoy with a side of rice, a spinach salad, or even use as a sauce for roasting vegetables. This is will quickly become one of your favorite healthy, plant-based vegan recipes.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted cashews (unsalted)*
- 1 tablespoon Curry Spice**
- 1 thumb fresh ginger
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, as needed
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, to garnish
How it’s Done:
To make the soup: In a medium pot, combine the cauliflower, cashews, Curry spice, ginger, and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Simmer until the cashews are soft, about 20 minutes.
Transfer the soup mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth. Add salt, to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
* Chef Katie’s Oil-Free Tips: To ensure a 100% oil-free recipe, be sure to use dry roasted cashews. You can double-check the ingredients list to make sure there’s no oil list. Or, you can roast your own cashews: Spread raw cashews on a baking sheet and roast at 350F for 7-8 minutes, until aromatic and golden brown.
** Chef Katie’s Curry Spice Tip: I opt for a trusted spice brand, like Frontier Co-op, which uses minimal added salt and no weird preservatives or fake colors. You can make your own curry blend from scratch with a mix of: fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, and cayenne (or red pepper).
Want to make it RAW?
For a raw version of this recipe, swap out the roasted cashews for raw cashews. Instead of simmering everything, simply soak the cashews in water overnight, to soften them. Then, to make the soup, place everything in a blender and puree until smooth.
Yield: 8-10 cups
Serving size: 1/4 of a recipe (14.3 ounces, about 2–2 ½ cups)
Calories From Fat (52%) 78.74
% Daily Value
- Total Fat 9.33g 14%
- Saturated Fat 1.7g 9%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 388.87mg 16%
- Potassium 616.15mg 18%
- Total Carbohydrates 14.59g 5%
- Fiber 4.26g 17%
- Sugar 3.73g
- Protein 5.92g 12%
- Calcium 71.11mg 7%
- Iron 103.33mg 574%
- Vitamin A 15.53IU <1%
- Vitamin C 0mg 0%
Shopping and Gear List
- Frontier Organic Seasoning, Vindaloo, 1.9 Ounce
- Sincerely Nuts Whole Cashews Roasted & Unsalted – Two Lb. Bag – Enticing Taste – Delightfully Crunchy – Healthy Nutrients- Kosher
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Almondmilk Unsweetened, 32 fl oz