Easy| Servings: 6 | Ready In: 30 minutes | Yield: 8 cups soup
Chana Masala literally translates to “Chickpea Spices”. A warming, comforting mix of aromatic spices like cumin, ginger, and turmeric flavor this classic Indian dish. This oil-free vegan recipe is full of healthy protein for hearty satisfaction. Use this easy recipe to start exploring Indian flavors – and also enjoy a delicious gluten-free, plant-based vegan dinner.
- 1 Onion
- 1 tablespoon ground Cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Small Green Chilies, minced with seeds (Indian Chili or Serrano)
- 1 tablespoon ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Paprika (or Indian red chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground Turmeric
- 2 15-oz canned Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 1 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped
- 1 28-oz canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
How it’s Done:
To make the Chana Masala: In a medium pot, combine the onion and cumin. Cover and cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes, until the onions are soft and the cumin becomes aromatic. If the onions start to burn, reduce the heat and add a splash of water.
While the onions soften, make your spiced paste. In a food chopper, combine the ginger, garlic, green chili, coriander, paprika, and turmeric. Roughly chop until you get a paste-like consistency.
Once the onions are soft, add the spiced paste to the pot. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until you can smell the ginger and the heat of the green chilies.
Drain and rinse the Chickpeas. Roughly chop the cilantro. Add the drained chickpeas, chopped cilantro, and canned tomatoes to the pot, along with 1/2 cup of water (you might want up to 1 cup for a thinner consistency). Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Then reduce the heat to medium low and gently simmer for 10 minutes, until thick and stew-like.
Remove from heat. Stir in the Garam Masala and season with salt.
Yield: 8 cups
Learn More in this Video:
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (8.8 ounces).
Calories From Fat (13%) 25.91
% Daily Value
- Total Fat 3.1g 5%
- Saturated Fat 0.34g 2%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 379.98mg 16%
- Potassium 749.63mg 21%
- Total Carbohydrates 37.12g 12%
- Fiber 10.23g 41%
- Sugar 10.93g
- Protein 10.43g 21%
- Calcium 18.99mg 2%
- Iron 112.4mg 624%
- Vitamin A 1355.56IU 27%
- Vitamin C 6756.24mg 11260%
Shopping and Gear List
- Organic Turmeric Powder – 16oz Resealable Bag (1lb) – 100% Raw w/Curcumin From India – by Feel Good Organics
- Simply Organic Mini Organic Ground Cumin (2x.46 OZ) by Simply Organic
- Frontier Garam Masala Certified Organic, Salt Free Blend, 2-Ounce Bottle