Healthy, Plant-Based Garden Veggie BurgersJump to Recipe
These healthy, plant-based veggie burgers celebrate the flavors of summer. Farmer’s Market garden vegetables zucchini and sweet bell pepper combine with fresh herbs. Protein-packed chickpeas create a hearty, gluten-free base. Make a batch of these for plant-based dinner. Or, throw a few on the grill for a summer party.
You’ll love this recipe. It is:
- Full of fresh, summer flavor
- Satisfying and Hearty
- Perfect for Batch Cooking
Get more Veggie Burger Toppings and Sauces
Chef Katie’s Healthy Cooking Tips for Chickpea Garden Veggie Burgers:
Veggie Burger Tricks: There are three tricks to making sure your veggie burger can hold up on a grill: Make sure your burger “base” is very dry. Puree the base completely smooth – crumbly burgers tend to fall apart. Freeze the burger patties for at least 30 minutes before throwing on the grill. This will help them hold.
Herb and Veggie Substitutes: Use any fresh herbs in this recipe. Thyme, parsley, basil, mint, chives, tarragon, and oregano would all work. You can use yellow summer squash in place of the zucchini and any color bell pepper in place of the orange bell pepper.
Dried Herbs: If you don’t have fresh herbs on-hand, use dried. Use half as many dried herbs as you would fresh. For 2 tablespoons fresh chives, use 1 tablespoon dried chives.
Freezer-Friendly Veggie Burgers: Make a double-batch of these burgers. After baking them in the oven, store extra burgers in an airtight container (or wrap in foil) in your freezer. When you’re hungry, pop right into a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes, until warm in the center.
Oil-Free: I’m on a mission to get rid of empty calories, like those found in refined oils. Using a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper makes it easy to bake without using oil. This makes a healthy, fat-free, low-calorie recipe.
Make them Sliders: These veggie burgers also make delicious sliders. Portion about ¼ cup of the veggie burger mix per slider. Reduce your cooking time to 30 minutes, flipping after the first 15 minutes. Serve them in lettuce cups, on slider buns, or in whole wheat pita pockets. They also make a great finger-food appetizer!
Watch this Video to Learn More:
Medium | Servings: 6 | Ready In: 45 minutes | Yield: 6 burgers
Garden Chickpea Veggie Burgers
- 2 zucchini diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 Line a large baking sheet pan with either parchment paper or a non-stick Silpat.
To prepare the Chickpea Garden Veggie Burger base:
- Place the zucchini, bell pepper, and chickpeas in wide pan. Cover and cook over medium heat, just 5-7 minutes, until chickpeas are soft. When mixture starts to brown and stick to the pan, you're ready. Remove the mixture from the pan and place in a medium bowl. Stir in the brown rice flour. Use either an immersion blender or a food processor to puree the Chickpea Garden Veggie Burger Base. Return to the bowl. Add the chives, basil, frozen peas, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
To shape and bake your Chickpea Garden Veggie Burgers:
- Scoop about 1/2 cup for each burger and place on the lined pan.
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes
- Flip after the first 30 minutes.
- Serve with Italian Roasted Red Potato Wedges, Pickled Red Onions in Apricot Brine, and Kale Avocado Salad.
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (1 burger, without toppings or bun).
Calories From Fat (12%) 22.47
% Daily Value
- Total Fat 2.68g 4%
- Saturated Fat 0.3g 2%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 399.33mg 17%
- Potassium 424.89mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrates 33.42g 11%
- Fiber 2.94g 12%
- Sugar 2.97g
- Protein 9.21g 18%
- Calcium 104.67mg 10%
- Iron 64.39mg 358%
- Vitamin A 967.67IU 19%
- Vitamin C 0mg 0%
Shopping and Gear List
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour 24 Ounce
- McCormick Freeze Dried Chives, 0.16 oz
- Update International (DP-8) 4 oz Stainless Steel Disher