Healthy, Plant-Based Korean Red Beet Veggie Burgers
These healthy, plant-based veggie burgers celebrate Korean inspiration. Shredded beets, ginger, and tamari create
You’ll love this recipe. It is:
- Full of spicy, sweet Korean Teriyaki flavors
- Satisfying and Hearty
- Perfect for Batch Cooking
Get more Veggie Burger Toppings and Sauces at: The Best Collection of Veggie Burger Toppings and Sauces
Chef Katie’s Healthy Cooking Tips for Korean Red Beet Veggie Burgers:
Veggie Burger Tricks: There are three tricks to making sure your veggie burger can hold up on a grill: Make sure your burger “base” is very dry. Puree the base completely smooth – crumbly burgers tend to fall apart. Freeze the burger patties for at least 30 minutes before throwing on the grill. This will help them hold.
Tamari vs. Soy Sauce: Tamari is the gluten-free version of soy sauce. Use it in this recipe to ensure a gluten-free recipe. If gluten isn’t a concern for you, you can use either tamari or soy sauce.
Freezer-Friendly Veggie Burgers: Make a double-batch of these burgers. After baking them in the oven, store extra burgers in an airtight container (or wrap in foil) in your freezer. When you’re hungry, pop right into a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes, until warm in the center.
Oil-Free: I’m on a mission to get rid of empty calories, like those found in refined oils. Using a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper makes it easy to bake without using oil. This makes a healthy, fat-free, low-calorie recipe.
Make them Sliders: These veggie burgers also make delicious sliders. Portion about ¼ cup of the veggie burger mix per slider. Reduce your cooking time to 30 minutes, flipping after the first 15 minutes. Serve them in lettuce cups, on slider buns, or in whole wheat pita pockets. They also make a great finger-food appetizer!
Watch this Cooking Video to Learn More:
Korean Red Beet Veggie Burgers
Korean Red Beet Veggie Burgers
- Saute pan
- Baking sheet
- 2 large red beets about 4 cups shredded beets
- 2 inches fresh ginger root
- 1 (15-ounccan red beans
- 2 scallions
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon tamari*
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- Preheat oven to 350 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat
- To make the Korean Red Beet Teriyaki Veggie Burger base: Peel the beets and cut into large chunks. Peel the ginger. Using the smallest grater blade on your food processor, shred the beets and ginger. You can also use a spiral cutter or a box grater (but it might look like a crime scene when you’re done!) You need about 4 cups total shredded beets.
- Place the shredded beets and ginger in a wide pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup of water. Cover and let the beets and ginger sweat. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the canned beans. After about 5-7 minutes, the beets are soft and starting to stick to the bottom of the pan. They are ready. Add the beans and cook another 2-3 minutes, with the lid off. At this point, you want the beans to get tender, but you also want to cook off as much excess water as you can. The drier the mix, the better it will hold together!
- Thinly slice the scallions. When the beans are soft enough to mash, remove beet-bean mixture from the pan and place in a mixing bowl to cool.
- To shape and bake the Korean Red Beet Teriyaki Veggie Burgers: When the beet mixture is cool enough to handle, use your hands to squish the beans. Add the scallions (reserve some for garnish), sesame seeds, brown rice flour, and tamari. For a little heat, you can add a dash of cayenne or Sriracha. Stir well to combine. Mixture should hold together. If it’s too wet, simply add more brown rice flour. Too dry, add a splash of water. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Portion the veggie mixture into 1/2-cup patties and place on a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 45-50 minutes. Flip burgers after about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and serve.
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (1 burger).
Calories From Fat (8%) 9.9
% Daily Value
- Total Fat 1.18g 2%
- Saturated Fat 0.19g <1%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 163.31mg 7%
- Potassium 496.12mg 14%
- Total Carbohydrates 22.68g 8%
- Fiber 6.07g 24%
- Sugar 6.49g
- Protein 5.27g 11%
- Calcium 6.14mg <1%
- Iron 54.66mg 304%
- Vitamin A 80.79IU 2%
- Vitamin C 0mg 0%
Shopping and Gear List
- Rodelle Toasted Natural Sesame Seeds, 18 Ounce
- San-J Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce, Black Bottle, 10 Ounce
- Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten-Free Brown Rice Flour, 24 oz.