Easy | Servings: 12 | Ready In: 10 minutes | Yield: 2 cups
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas (about 1 cup, 240g)
- 1/2 cup (90g) roasted peanut butter (no added oils or sugar)
- 1 cup (100g) pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
How It’s Done
To make frosting: Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pot. Cover and simmer 8 minutes, until dates are completely soft.
Pour everything into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
Let cool before using.
Spread on Peanut Butter Chocolate Monkey Bars or any other baked treat. Freeze for long-term storage.
Yield: 2 cups
Chef Katie’s Tips:
Microwave Method: Combine everything in a microwave-safe container. Microwave 70-90 seconds, until hot. Be careful to watch so that it doesn’t overflow! Puree with an immersion blender. Chill, freeze, or spread 🙂
Freeze your Ripe Bananas: Save over-ripe bananas in the freezer: Simply peel, break into pieces, and store in a plastic bag. When ready to make this recipe, thaw out in your refrigerator overnight.
Weigh your Ingredients: For consistent results, use a digital kitchen scale for precise measuring. This small investment will save you time from fooling with measuring cups. It will also help make you a better baker.
Nut-Free? Swap out the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter for a nut-free alternative. If you just need to avoid peanuts, use almond butter or cashew butter instead.
No Refined Sugars, Syrups, or Oils: I’m on a mission to avoid using sugar, maple syrup, and other refined sweeteners. These ingredients leave you feeling hungry and can spike a sweet-tooth craving that pushes you to overeat. For this recipe, whole foods, natural sweetness comes from unsweetened applesauce, banana, and dates.
Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (about 2-3 tbsp.)
Calories From Fat (36%) 24.45
% Daily Value
- Total Fat 2.91g 4%
- Saturated Fat 0.58g 3%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids g
Omega-6 Fatty Acids g
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 32.48mg 1%
- Potassium 143.71mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%
- Fiber 1.33g 5%
- Sugar 6.94g
- Protein 1.73g 3%
- Calcium 1.31mg <1%
- Iron 14.25mg 79%
- Vitamin A 10.17IU <1%
- Vitamin C 0mg 0%
Shopping and Gear List
- Sincerely Nuts Chopped Dates – One Lb. Bag
- Teddie All Natural Peanut Butter, Smooth, 26-Ounce Jar (Pack of 3) (Packaging may vary)
- Watkins Original Gourmet Baking Vanilla Extract, with Pure Vanilla Extract, 11 Ounce (Packaging may vary)