Vegan Cream of Broccoli Super SoupJump to Recipe
This vegan cream of broccoli soup is a great example of mastering a cooking skill. Cream soup is a technique I first learned about in culinary school. I had always assumed creamed soup meant adding dairy cream. However, this was not the case. As our chef instructor explained, creaming was not an ingredient. Rather, it was a method.
Creamed soup involved pureeing an ingredient in the soup. Sometimes it was potatoes, sometimes corn. For seafood chowder, it was often rice or potatoes. Contrary to what I assumed, it rarely involved dairy. In fact, dairy cream would often thin and cool a hot soup. These are two things you really don’t want. Instead, creaming helps add thickness and more intense flavor.
Try mastering the technique of creamed soup with this healthy, dairy-free cream of broccoli soup recipe. The vegetables are cooked quickly so as not to get brown. In turn, this gives you a more verdant, green soup.
Hearty cannellini beans add plant-based protein and thick texture. A cheesy, umami flavor comes from nutritional yeast flakes.
Once you’ve got this creamed soup technique in your cooking repertoire, you can use it on a variety of vegetables. Try it on yellow cauliflower for a spicy curry. Use it for a smoky potato leek soup. Or try it with zucchini, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, roasted beets…the garden’s the limit.
Notes on this Recipe:
Skill Level: Easy
Ready In: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 cups
This vegan soup has:
- Simple Flavors
- Healthy, Green Cruciferous Vegetables
- Creamy Texture
Chef’ Katie’s Tips:
Chilled Soup: For a chilled version, don’t add the water during the cooking. Instead, add 2 cups of ice when you puree the soup.
Frozen Broccoli: You can also use frozen broccoli. Use 2 pounds frozen broccoli and add as you do in the recipe above. It will take less time for the broccoli to become tender, about 3-5 minutes.
Freeze the Broccoli Stalks: Anytime you trim broccoli, you can freeze the woody stalks. When you have about 4 cups chopped, you can make this recipe.
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Super Soup
- To make the Vegan Cream of Broccoli Super Soup: In a medium pot, combine the carrot, celery, and thyme. Cover and sweat over medium heat until aromatic, 3-5 minutes. If vegetables start to brown, simply add a splash of water and reduce the heat.
- Add the broccoli, cannellini beans, bay leaf, vegetable stock, and water to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Add nutritional yeast.
- Use an immersion or a standard blender to puree the mixture until smooth. If the soup seems too thick, add more broth or water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Chef’ Katie’s Tips:
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 598 mg||25 %|
|Potassium 364 mg||10 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 8 g||30 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 9 g||17 %|
|Vitamin A||60 %|
|Vitamin C||93 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|