Medium | Servings: 6 | Ready In: 30 minutes | Yield: 5 cups
- 1/4 cup split yellow mung beans
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
How it’s Done:
To prepare the Khichdi (Curried Indian Mung Beans and Rice): Rinse the mung beans under running water for about 30 seconds, until there is no foam coming from the beans. Set aside.
Place the fenugreek seeds in a medium pot. Turn the heat to medium, cover, and toast 2-3 minutes, until slightly darker and aromatic. Add the rice, the remaining spices, and the fresh ginger. Cover and toast another 2-3 minutes, just until aromatic. When the rice begins to “pop” and darken, you’re done toasting.
Add the mung beans, water and bay leaves. Cover, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
Simmer about 25 minutes, until the rice and beans are tender.
Remove the lid and fluff. Let any excess moisture release through the steam.
Add the salt, pepper, and cilantro.
Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Yield: 5 cups
Chef Katie’s Tips
Get the “Split”: Split mung beans cook faster than whole lentils, so be sure to get the split ones. You can use also yellow or green split peas.
Simple Spices Tip: You may need to visit an Indian market to find some of these spices. If you don’t want to stock up on a big mix of spices, you can substitute with 2 tablespoons of a generic curry powder blend.
Watch to Learn More:
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (about 3/4 cup).
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (5%) 9.55
% Daily Value
- Total Fat 1.14g 2%
- Saturated Fat 0.25g 1%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 108.58mg 5%
- Potassium 412.04mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrates 33.77g 11%
- Fiber 5.63g 23%
- Sugar 1.92g
- Protein 8.27g 17%
- Calcium 2.8mg <1%
- Iron 52.59mg 292%
- Vitamin A 155.8IU 3%
- Vitamin C 0.72mg 1%
Shopping and Gear List
- Pride Of India – Indian Split Yellow Mung Lentils – Protein & Fiber Rich Moong Dal, 1.5 Pound Jar
- Fenugreek Seeds by Food to Live (Methi, Kosher, Bulk) — 8 Ounces
- Shudh India Heeng Powder, Hing Powder, Asafoetida Powder
- The Spice Hunter Coriander, Ground, Organic, 1.4-Ounce Jar
- Spiceology Ground Cumin Powder | All-Natural Cumin Spice and Seasoning 16 oz
- 2-Ounce Premium Whole Bay Leaves