Healthy Vegan Frittata
This vegan tofu recipe is an homage to one of the first recipes I ever learned how to make: Frittata. From my days backpacking on farms, we always had a surplus of eggs and vegetables. Frittata seemed like the perfect one-pan dish for a quick dinner or satisfying lunch. I immediately fell in love with the versatility and simplicity of the dish. It was a healthy recipe that was easy to stretch for a brunch with friends.
Going plant-based, though, I have been looking for egg-free options. I have a vegan recipe with chickpea flour which is really tasty. And now this oil-free tofu version is another to add to the repertoire. I love the light, fluffiness from the tofu. A dash of black salt adds a mild egg-like flavor while ground turmeric adds golden egg-like color. This dish is both visually appealing and delicious.
Just like a traditional frittata, there is so much versatility with this recipe. You can mix and match with whatever vegetables you have on hand or what’s in season. It’s a great way to make use of some of that CSA and Farmer’s Market organic produce. Plus, also a great clean-out-the-fridge dish to make on a Saturday morning before heading to the grocery. Stretch it to feed a crowd or make a smaller batch for a satisfying meal-for-one.
This is one of the essential plant-based recipes you’ll want to have in your cooking collection.
Chef Katie’s Healthy Cooking Tips:
Shopping at Farmer’s Markets: Shopping at local farmer’s markets gives you the freshest, highest quality produce. Plus, you support sustainable agriculture and the local community. The types of fruits and vegetables available will depend on the season. I shopped at Chicago’s Green City Market for this incredible
Other Vegetable Variations: Use this frittata recipe as a template for other vegetable variations. It’s a great recipe to clean out your fridge or use up that CSA. You can add mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, garlic scapes, or other vegetables you have on hand.
Single-Serve Muffin Frittata Cups: For single-serving portions, line a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin liners. Pour the frittata mixture into the liners. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until firm in the center. This makes about 1 dozen muffin frittatas.
Black Salt: Black Salt comes from black volcanic rock. It has a sulfuric flavor, reminiscent of eggs. It is traditionally found in Indian markets and can be added to vegan recipes that would traditionally have eggs. You can omit it if unavailable.
Adding Aquafaba: Sometimes vegan frittata recipes will use aquafaba</a> instead of plant-based milk to make the tofu batter. Aquafaba is the liquid found in canned chickpeas. It can help create a lighter, fluffier batter, similar to using eggs.
Oil-Free Mission: I’m on a mission to get rid of empty calories, like those found in refined oils. This recipe is 100% oil-free. Parchment paper helps line the pan instead of using a spray-oil.
Medium | Servings: 4 | Ready
In: 70 minutes | Yield: 1 Frittata
Oil-Free Garden Vegetable Tofu Frittata
For the Oil-Free Garden Vegetables:
- ½ cup water
- 2 red potatoes diced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
For the Vegan Tofu Frittata Base:
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu drained
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black salt optional (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley basil, or thyme, for garnish
- To make the Garden Vegetable Oil-Free Tofu Frittata: Preheat your oven to 325Line an 8-inch spring-form pan or round pie pan with parchment paper.
- To cook the Oil-Free Garden Vegetable Filling: In a medium sauté pan, cook the potatoes in ½ cup of water, over high heat, until they start to get tender, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook 5 more minutes. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, garlic, basil, and thyme. Cook until veggies are tender but not falling apart, about 5 more minutes. Cook off any excess liquid. Turn off the heat.
- To make the Vegan Tofu Frittata Base: In a blender, combine the firm tofu, almond milk, tapioca flour, turmeric, black salt (or regular salt), and black pepper. Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender, as needed.
- To Bake the Garden Vegetable Oil-Free Tofu Frittata: Pour the blended tofu mixture into the pan with the cooked vegetables. Stir to combine. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Transfer everything to your pre-lined pan. Spread the tomatoes on top. Transfer to the oven, and bake until firm to the touch, about 60 minutes. If the frittata begins to brown too quickly, cover with a small silpat or aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes. Remove from the pan, slice, garnish with fresh chopped herbs, and serve!
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 5 g||8 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||3 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 322 mg||13 %|
|Potassium 559 mg||16 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 27 g||9 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6 g||25 %|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 13 g||26 %|
|Vitamin A||57 %|
|Vitamin C||85 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Viva Doria Hawaiian Black Lava Sea Salt, Fine Grain, Lava Salt
- Bragg Premium Nutritional Yeast Seasoning 4.5 Ounce
- Simply Organic Italian Seasoning Certified Organic, 0.95-Ounce Container
<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=plantrule-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B07L4PHL87&asins=B07L4PHL87&linkId=14df37eea3371ea6113202283c9df527&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true&price_color=248208&title_color=8218c4&bg_color=ffffff"> </iframe>