Delicious, Oil-Free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Hummus is a Middle Eastern spread made from pureed chickpeas. A touch of smoky cumin and coriander add flavor. For this oil-free recipe, roasted red peppers add natural sweetness. This healthy, plant-based dip is an essential recipe. Use it on sandwiches, veggie burgers, roasted potatoes, or as a dip for veggies.
Chef Katie’s Healthy Plant-Based Cooking Tips for :
Pepper Variety: You can use any variety of peppers for this hummus. Yellow or orange bell peppers provide fun colors, while poblanos and banana peppers bring extra heat. Serve warm for the ultimate flavor experience.
Oil-Free: I’m on a mission to get rid of empty calories, like those found in refined oils. Using a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper makes it easy to roast without using oil. This makes a healthy, fat-free, low-calorie recipe.
Watch the Cooking Video:
Easy | Servings: 24 | Ready in: 20 minutes | Yield: 3 cups
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – Healthy, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free, Plant-Based, Nut-Free Vegan Dip Recipe
- 5 medium red bell pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup water as needed
- Preheat your broiler to “High”.
- To Roast the Peppers: Cut the bell peppers in half from stem to base. Use your hands to scoop out the stems, seeds, and ribs. Place the peppers, cut-side-down, on a large baking sheet. Place the peppers on the top rack of your oven, right under the broiler. Broil for about 15 minutes, until the peppers are very charred. Immediately transfer the peppers to a sealable container or a plastic bag. Cover and let steam a few minutes. This will make it easier to remove the skins.
- To finish Roasted Red Pepper Hummus: Drain and rinse the chickpeas. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the black skin and discard. Place the chickpeas, peppers, tahini, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, coriander, cayenne (if using), salt, and garlic in a food processor or high-speed blender. Add 1/4 cup of water to get started. Puree until smooth. Add more water, if needed, to get a smooth consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving size: 1/24 of a recipe (about 2 tablespoons).
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (25%) 9.63
- Total Fat 1.14g 2%
- Saturated Fat 0.14g <1%
- Cholesterol 0mg 0%
- Sodium 100.69mg 4%
- Potassium 103.3mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrates 5.73g 2%
- Fiber 1.74g 7%
- Sugar 1.74g
- Protein 1.72g 3%
- Calcium 32.23mg 3%
- Iron 15.57mg 87%
- Vitamin A IU
- Vitamin C 0mg 0%
Shopping and Gear List
- Achva Organic Tahini, 17.6 oz.
- MCK ORGANIC GROUND CUMIN 1.5OZ
- Simply Organic – Coriander – 2.29 oz.