Vegan Barbecue Lentil Loaf
Vegan lentil loaf recipes often focus on the winter holidays. They’ll aim to give plant-based eaters an alternative when the turkey is roasting. However, lentil loaf is delicious throughout the year. The beauty of the dish is that you can change the spices and flavors to fit the season. You can shape the mixture into whatever size you like. These mini barbecue lentil loaves are perfect for summer.
With only 5 ingredients, this simple recipe is easy for beginner cooks. Smoked paprika and garlic powder add smoky BBQ flavor. Brown lentils provide hearty vegetarian flavor and healthy plant-based protein
Chef Katie’s Healthy Cooking Tips for Mini Vegan Barbecue Lentil Loaves:
Freezer-Friendly: These lentil loaves are incredibly freezer friendly. After baking, let them cool on the sheet pan at least 10 minutes. Then wrap in foil or a plastic container and freeze. To reheat, place them right from the freezer onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350F, 7-8 minutes, until hot.
Spice Variations: Smoked paprika adds a smoky flavor, classic with traditional barbecue. For more spice, use chipotle powder. For less smoke, substitute with sweet paprika. You can also use a pre-made BBQ seasoning mix, smoked salt, or (in a pinch) chili powder.
Tapioca Starch: Also called “tapioca flour“, this is made from tapioca root. It acts as a binder and thickener in recipes, much like cornstarch. You can substitute using cornstarch or arrowroot.
Mini Vegan Barbecue Lentil Loaves
Easy| Servings: 4 | Ready
Keep canned lentils on-hand in your pantry. Serve these loaves with a big Kale Avocado Salad for a satisfying weeknight dinner. Or enjoy with Barbecue Sauce and Roasted Corn on the Cob for an incredible summer-themed menu. This is a must-have recipe!
Mini Vegan Barbecue Lentil Loaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans lentils drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic granules
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350Line a baking sheet with parchment paper on a non-stick baking mat.
- To make the Mini Vegan Barbecue Lentil Loaves: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients: the lentils, flaxseed meal, tapioca starch, smoked paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to mash the lentils into a dough-like consistency. You want the mixture to clump together. The smoother (and more masheyou can get the lentils, the better.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Portion about ¼ cup of the mixture onto the lined baking sheet. You should get 12 mini loaves. Bake the lentil loaves 20 minutes, flipping after the first 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4 g||6 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 151 mg||6 %|
|Potassium 697 mg||20 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 41 g||14 %|
|Dietary Fiber 16 g||64 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 17 g||35 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||7 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Badia Smoked Paprika 16 oz (1)
- Organic Tapioca Flour/Starch (2.5lbs) by Anthony’s, Gluten-Free & Non-GMO
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal, 16 oz