Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho Soup
Gazpacho soup is a traditional Spanish dish, served chilled. It’s best enjoyed during the hot days of
Traditional recipes often use extra virgin olive oil and bread to help thicken the soup. However, my recipe omits these for a cleaner, lighter soup. Some tips on how to make the best gazpacho:
- Use 3 parts tomato to 1 part other ingredients. For example, this recipe uses 1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes to about 1/2 pound of other ingredients
- Experiment with different varieties of heirloom tomatoes for different colors and flavors. Use yellow tomatoes and yellow bell peppers. Or, try green Cherokee tomatoes with green bell peppers.
- Add the tomatoes to the blender first. The juices will help get the puree going.
- For more sweetness, add watermelon, honeydew, or grapes.
- For spicy heat, add jalapeno, Fresno chilies, or cherry peppers.
- Make gazpacho in advance; the flavors get better overnight.
- For a thicker soup, add 1/2 cup soaked cashews or 1 cup coconut milk to the puree.
Kumato Tomato Oil-Free Gazpacho Soup
Easy | Servings: 4 | Ready
In: 10 minutes | Yield: 10 cups
Kumato Tomato Cold Oil-Free Gazpacho Soup
- 1.5 pounds Kumato tomatoes or any ripe tomatoes, seeded and juices reserved
- 1 seedless cucumber roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- Diced avocado or cucumber for serving
- Remove the seeds from the kumato tomatoes and set aside.
- To make the Kumato Tomato Oil-Free Gazpacho Soup: Combine all ingredients except the reserved tomato seeds and water in a high-speed blender. Add 1 cup of the tomato seeds and juices and 1/2 cup of water or vegetable stock. Puree until smooth. Add more stock or water, as needed, to reach a smooth consistency. You might add another 1/2 cup or so to reach this smoothness. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Serve chilled, garnished with diced avocado or cucumber.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 246 mg||10 %|
|Potassium 1087 mg||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17 g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||8 %|
|Sugars 12 g|
|Protein 1 g||3 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Napa Valley Naturals Sherry Vinegar (15 Star)
- The Wizards Sauces, Sauce Worcestershire Vegetarian Organic