Making Plant-Based Vegan Pecan Frosting
After I figured out the recipe for Plant-Based Peach Cake, I knew I needed an incredible frosting. Growing up in Kentucky, peaches often were paired with pecans. Therefore, I wanted to honor this Southern tradition. However, traditional frosting often involved sugar and butter. For a healthy, plant-based, vegan version, I knew I needed to make a few chef-inspired changes.
A Healthy, Plant-Based, No Added Sugar Vegan Pecan Vanilla Frosting
Perfecting this recipe took quite a bit of patience. Yet, the result is so deliciously satisfying. Some of the healthy changes I made to update the classic Vanilla Frosting recipe for a whole foods, plant-based vegan diet:
- Substituted vegan pecans for the typical dairy butter that is usually the base for
frosting. You get that essential rich, creamy flavor.
- Dried dates replace sugar and syrup for natural sweetness.
- A dash of high-quality Mexican vanilla adds more depth of flavor.
- Slather it on Plant-Based Peach Cake for the classic Southern peach-pecan pairing.
I’m incredibly proud of this recipe for Plant-Based Vegan Pecan Vanilla Frosting. I hope you enjoy it too!
Chef Katie’s Tips
Other Nuts and Seeds: Instead of pecans, you can use other nuts and seeds. Cashews, macadamia nuts, and sunflower seeds all work.
No Refined Sugar or Syrup? I’m on a mission to get rid of empty calories. This cake doesn’t use any refined sugar, maple syrup, or other refined sweetener. and the pureed peach provide sweetness, along with healthy fiber and essential nutrients.
Plant-Based Peach Cake with Pecan Vanilla Frosting
- Skill Level: Easy
- Servings: 12
- Ready In: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups frosting
Plant-Based Vegan Pecan Vanilla Frosting
- ½ cup pitted dates 100g
- ½ cup unsalted raw pecan pieces 56g or 2 ounces
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- ¾ cup water
- To make the Plant-Based Vegan Pecan Vanilla Frosting:
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Puree until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer to an airtight container and cover. Chill until it becomes firm and spreadable. Use within a week or freeze for longer.Makes about 1 1/2 cup frosting
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 3 g||5 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||1 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 14 mg||1 %|
|Potassium 77 mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 7 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||4 %|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 1 g||1 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Gourmet Mexican Vanilla
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Deglet Noor Dates (Pitted), 2 Pounds
- Nature’s Eats Pecan Halves, 16 Ounce
- Standard Paper Cupcake Liners