Southern-Style Sweet Vegan Corn Pudding
Sweet corn pudding is a Southern staple around the holidays. Traditionally made with sweetened condensed milk and loads of butter, it is less than healthy. However, this simple healthy, plant-based uses just 5 ingredients. Apricots add natural, whole food sweetness. Yet, corn is the star – working double duty to add texture and also create a thick pudding.
This baked casserole is full of classic, comfort food Southern flavor.
- Servings: 8
- Ready In: 45 minutes
- Yield: 1 (8×8-inch) square pan
Chef Katie’s Plant-Based Cooking Tips:
Tapioca Starch, Arrowroot, and Cornstarch: This recipe calls for tapioca starch. However, you can use these thickeners interchangeably. You need twice as much tapioca starch or arrowroot as cornstarch in recipes. For this recipe, you can use 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder or 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
Nut Allergies: For nut allergies, swap out the almond milk for another plant-based milk like soy, rice, or hempseed. Just be sure to use plain, unsweetened milk for this recipe.
Weigh your Ingredients: For consistent results, use a digital kitchen scale for precise measuring. This small investment will save you time from fooling with measuring cups. It will also help make you a better baker.
No Refined Sugars, Syrups, or Oils: I’m on a mission to avoid using refined sugar, syrup, and refined oils. These ingredients leave you feeling hungry and can spike a sweet-tooth craving that pushes you to overeat. For this recipe, whole foods, natural sweetness comes from dried apricots.
Watch this Video to Learn More:
5-Ingredient Southern Style Sweet Vegan Corn Pudding
- 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish
- 1/2 cup dried apricots 100 g
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch 15 g
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels thawed (525g), divided
- Preheat the oven to 350Line an 8×8-inch square pan with parchment.
- To make the 4-Ingredient Southern Style Sweet Vegan Corn Pudding: In a blender, combine the apricots, almond milk, tapioca starch, baking powder, salt, and 2 cups of the corn kernels. Puree until creamy. Add the extra corn kernels and stir or pulse just until combined.
- Pure the batter into your prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and “set” in the center.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes before serving. Use a spoon to serve.
- Serve with Easy Wild Rice Pilaf, White Poblano Chili, or Vegan Shepherds Pie.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 1 g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 368 mg||15 %|
|Potassium 216 mg||6 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 16 g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||9 %|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 2 g||4 %|
|Vitamin A||6 %|
|Vitamin C||5 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Terrasoul Superfoods Sun-Dried Apricots Unsulphured (Organic), 32 Ounce
- Organic Tapioca Starch Lets Do Organic 6 oz Box
- Rumford Baking Powder, 8.1 oz (Pack of 2)