Chipotle Peppers for a Hearty Plant-Based Chili
Dried chipotle peppers provide smoky spicy heat to this plant-based chili. Sweet potatoes help balance the flavor and provide
You’ll love this healthy, plant-based chili recipe! It is:
- Hearty and satisfying
- Has smoky, spicy heat
- One-Pot Dinner
- Perfect for Game Day, Pot-Lucks, and Entertaining a Crowd
Chef Katie’s Healthy Plant-Based Cooking Tips for Sweet Potato Chipotle Chili:
Chipotle Powder vs Whole vs Canned: You can find chipotle peppers in a variety of forms. Canned chipotles in adobo sauce often have added oils, so I prefer to avoid these. Ground chipotle powder and chipotle flake are the easiest to measure. It’s also easy to use just a little bit. However, whole dried chipotle peppers have the longest shelf life. If you’re a heat-lover, opt for the whole dried chipotles. You can use in chili, soup, or for Stewed Black Beans.
What are Chipotles? Chipotle peppers are jalapeno peppers that have been smoked and dried. If you prefer less spicy heat, use smoked paprika instead. Or, for more spice, you can use smoked habaneros or whole dried chipotles.
Control the Spice: If you prefer more spice, add more chipotle to the chili. You can also use 1 jalapeno, minced. Add it when you saute the onions and peppers.
Slow Cooker or Instapot: For the Slow-Cooker, combine everything and set on Low for 6 to 8 hours. For the Instapot, sauté the onions and bell pepper first, then add the sweet potatoes and beans. Choose
Other Uses: This chili can be transformed for a variety of healthy dinners. Use as a topping over cooked whole wheat macaroni for Chili Mac. Pour over baked tortilla chips for loaded nachos. Or serve over cooked quinoa and steamed kale for a Chili Grain Bowl.
Sweet Potato Chipotle Plant-Based Chili
- Servings: 6
- Yield: about 10 cups
- Ready In: 30 minutes
Serve it with Gluten-Free Cornbread and Guacamole for a satisfying meal. If you like this recipe, you should also check out: Hearty Beluga Lentil Vegan Chili, White Lentil Vegan Poblano Chili, and Chipotle Black Bean Soup.
Sweet Potato Chipotle Plant-Based Chili
- Soup Pot
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 small sweet potatoes cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- To make Sweet Potato Chipotle Plant-Based Chili: Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. No oil needed. Add the onion and bell pepper. Sauté until slightly browned, about 7-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Cook another minute or two, until aromatic.
- Add the tomato paste and cook to lightly caramelize, 1-2 minutes. The tomato paste will darken as the sugars caramelize.
- Add the vinegar to deglaze the pan. Use your spoon to scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sweet potatoes, canned tomatoes, and enough water to cover everything, about 2 cups. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the beans during the last 5 minutes or so of cooking. This helps them retain some texture.
- Skim off any tomato “foam”. Taste to check seasoning.
- Serve with diced avocado, crumbled corn bread, or any other favorite topping
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 314 mg||13 %|
|Potassium 412 mg||12 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 29 g||10 %|
|Dietary Fiber 11 g||43 %|
|Sugars 8 g|
|Protein 7 g||14 %|
|Vitamin A||325 %|
|Vitamin C||63 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Frontier Ground Bottle, Chipotle, 2.15 Ounce
- Chile Chipotle – Meco Mexican Chili Peppers
- McCormick Gourmet Organic Ground Cumin, 1.5 oz
- Frontier Co-op Organic Chili Powder Blend, 1 Pound Bulk Bag