Massaman Oil-Free Thai Curry Paste
Authentic Massaman Thai Curry Paste is a mixture of interesting unique flavors. Roasted peppers and onions
Don’t let the ingredient list for this recipe intimidate you! This one is worth the effort. Make a big batch to keep on hand for healthy, plant-based, oil-free curry weeknight dinners.
You’ll love this Massaman Oil-Free Thai Curry paste recipe! It is:
- Full of aunthetic Thai flavor
- Useful for many recipes
- Oil-free, low-calorie, and healthy
Chef Katie’s Plant-Based Cooking Tips for Spicy Oil-Free Massaman Thai Curry Paste:
Tamarind paste: Fresh tamarind is usually found in the produce section of many grocery stores. You can also find jars and blocks of tamarind paste in the Indian or Asian aisles of some specialty stores. If you can’t find
Grinding fresh spices: For a really authentic flair, use whole spices for this recipe. In a spice grinder, combine whole coriander, ½ stick of cinnamon, and the whole, toasted cardamom pods. Grind to powder then add to the blender before pureeing.
Tamari vs. Soy Sauce: Tamari is the gluten-free version of soy sauce. Use it in this recipe to ensure a gluten-free recipe. If gluten isn’t a concern for you, you can use either tamari or soy sauce.
Extra Sauce: Make a double-batch of sauce and freeze extras for future meals. In addition to this curry, use it for stir-fry, cooked Soba noodles, or on roasted sweet potatoes
Soy-Free: If you’re avoiding soy, use Coconut Aminos instead of the tamari.
Watch this Video to Learn More:
Spicy Massaman Oil-Free Thai Curry Paste
- Yield: about 1 ½ cups
- Servings: 6
- Ready in: 20 minutes
Spicy Massaman Oil-Free Thai Curry Paste
- Blender or Food Processor
- Saute pan
- 5 New Mexican dried chilies or other small red chilies, not too spicy, seeds optional
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 whole cardamom pods or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 7 pitted dates about ¼ cup
- 2 inches fresh lemongrass outer stalks removed, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- Salt to taste
- To make the Spicy Oil-Free Thai Curry Paste: Place the chilies in a bowl and cover with water. Let them soak at least 5 minutes, to soften. Drain and set aside. While the chilis soak, toast the shallot and garlic.
- Place the shallot in a small dry pan and saute over medium heat until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cardamom pods and cook until aromatic, 1 to 2 more minutes. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, remove the pods of the cardamom seeds. Transfer the shallot, garlic, and cardamom pods to a blender or food processor.
- Add the drained chilis to the blender, along with all of the remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth. You want a thick paste, similar to thick hummus. If the mixture won’t puree, add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until all of the ingredients are smooth.
- Use for Spicy Massaman Thai Curry. Refrigerate and use within 10 days. Freeze for up to 6 months.
- If using for Spicy Massaman Oil-Free Thai Curry, freeze in ¼-cup portions.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 1 g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 331 mg||14 %|
|Potassium 88 mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14 g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||15 %|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 2 g||4 %|
|Vitamin A||45 %|
|Vitamin C||17 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Pure Organic Tamarind Paste Concentrate
- Coriander Seeds Whole by Food to Live (Kosher, Bulk) — 8 Ounces
- Huy Fong Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce, 28 Ounce Bottle (Pack of 2) (1 Pack)
- SAN-J -TAMARI-REDUCED SODIUM [Gluten Free] (Organic) 10OZ[1PACK]