Healthy Vegan Plant-Based Scramble
This vegan tofu recipe is an homage to one of the essential recipes I ate for many years: Scrambled Eggs. As a kid in college, with limited kitchen space and a small budget, scrambled eggs and veggies were often a quick, easy meal. Even when I was backpacking on farms, we always had a surplus of eggs and vegetables. Even when the fridge was empty, I could usually scavenge together some bits of onion, bell pepper, and green vegetables. In a few minutes, I would have a hot, satisfying plate of food. Served over toasted whole wheat bread, salad greens, or roasted potatoes and breakfast (or sometimes dinner) was served.
I always loved the versatility and simplicity of the dish. It was a healthy recipe that was easy to stretch for a brunch with friends.
Going plant-based, though, I have been looking for egg-free options. I have a vegan recipe with chickpea flour which is really tasty. And now this oil-free tofu version is another to add to the repertoire. I love the light, fluffiness from the tofu. A dash of black salt adds a mild egg-like flavor while ground turmeric adds golden egg-like color. This dish is both visually appealing and delicious.
Tons of Plant-Based Protein
Instead of traditional eggs, this plant-based recipe uses crumble tofu. The tofu is broken up into pieces to resemble scrambled eggs. With a dash of turmeric for golden color, the visual effect is the same. However, tofu is loaded with tons of healthy plant-based protein. Just one serving of this recipe has 22g of protein! That’s about 45% of your daily needs!
Plus, unlike eggs, there’s no cholesterol and very little saturated fat. Also, unlike eggs, tofu is a healthy source of calcium, iron, potassium, and fiber. This means you get a breakfast that is full of delicious flavor and is packed with healthy, plant-based nutrition!
A Versatile, Tofu Scramble Recipe
Just like a traditional scramble, there is so much versatility with this recipe. You can mix and match with whatever vegetables you have on hand or what’s in season. It’s a great way to make use of some of that CSA and Farmer’s Market organic produce. Plus, also a great clean-out-the-fridge dish to make on a Saturday morning before heading to the grocery. Stretch it to feed a crowd or make a smaller batch for a satisfying meal-for-one.
This is one of the essential plant-based recipes you’ll want to have in your cooking collection.
Chef Katie’s Healthy Cooking Tips:
Shopping at Farmer’s Markets: Shopping at local farmer’s markets gives you the freshest, highest quality produce. Plus, you support sustainable agriculture and the local community. The types of fruits and vegetables available will depend on the season. I shopped at Chicago’s Green City Market for this incredible
Other Vegetable Variations: Use this recipe as a template for other vegetable variations. It’s a great recipe to clean out your fridge or use up that CSA. You can add mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, garlic scapes, or other vegetables you have on hand.
Black Salt: Black Salt comes from black volcanic rock. It has a sulfuric flavor, reminiscent of eggs. It is traditionally found in Indian markets and can be added to vegan recipes that would traditionally have eggs. You can omit it if unavailable.
Oil-Free Mission: I’m on a mission to get rid of empty calories, like those found in refined oils. This recipe is 100% oil-free.
Oil-Free Garden Vegetable Tofu Breakfast Scramble
Colorful garden vegetables and crumbled tofu make a quick, plant-based breakfast. This easy, oil-free recipe comes together in under 20 minutes.
- Servings: 2
- Yield: 5 cups
Get more recipe ideas for:
Oil-Free Garden Vegetable Tofu Breakfast Scramble
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (16-ounce) package firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon Black salt optiona
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the Oil-Free Garden Vegetable Tofu Breakfast Scramble: Preheat a wide, non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini. Saute until golden around the edges, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute.
- While the vegetables cook, drain the tofu. Use your hands to crumble to tofu into a medium bowl. You want the tofu to resemble scrambled eggs. Leave some medium-sized chunks as these have a tendency to crumble more during the cooking.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the sautéed vegetables. Add the fresh thyme and turmeric powder. Saute everything until the tofu is golden and the mixture is quite dry. This might take 8-10 minutes, depending on how wet the tofu is to start. Stir often to cook off as much moisture as you can. You can slice the basil during this time.
- Add the fresh basil and black salt during the last minute of cooking. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10 g||15 %|
|Saturated Fat 2 g||10 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 3 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 197 mg||8 %|
|Potassium 998 mg||29 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 24 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 6 g||23 %|
|Sugars 15 g|
|Protein 22 g||45 %|
|Vitamin A||13 %|
|Vitamin C||50 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Shopping and Gear List
- Viva Doria Hawaiian Black Lava Sea Salt, Fine Grain, Lava Salt
- Bragg Premium Nutritional Yeast Seasoning 4.5 Ounce
- Simply Organic Italian Seasoning Certified Organic, 0.95-Ounce Container
<iframe style="width:120px;height:240px;" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="//ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=plantrule-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=B07L4PHL87&asins=B07L4PHL87&linkId=14df37eea3371ea6113202283c9df527&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true&price_color=248208&title_color=8218c4&bg_color=ffffff"> </iframe>